- Ph.D., The University of Arizona, Geosciences, 1998
- M.S., Geography and Geology, University of Massachusetts, 1992
- B.S., Geography and Geology, University of Massachusetts, 1989
Selected adaptation programs/projects:
- Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation on Southwestern DoD Facilities. Funding Agency: Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program (SERDP). (2012-2017)
- Building Resilience for Climate and Weather Extremes in US-México Border Cities. Funding Agency: NOAA (2016-2017)
- Using Critical Thresholds to Customize Climate Projections of Extreme Events to User Needs and Support Decisions. (Lead Investigator: Sascha Peterson) Funding Agency: NOAA (2014-2016)
- Preparing for High-Consequence, Low-Probability Events: Heat, Water and Energy in the Southwest. Funding Agency: Bureau of Reclamation (2015-2016)
- Developing, Testing, and Evaluating Scenario Planning for Nevada BLM using the Rapid Ecological Assessment,Phase 2: NOAA funding. (2014-2016)
- Garfin, G., S. LeRoy, and H. Jones, 2017. Developing an integrated heat health information system for long-term resilience to climate and weather extremes in the El Paso-Juárez-Las Cruces Region. Tucson, AZ: Institute of the Environment, 63 pp.
- Garfin, G.M., C.A. Scott, M. Wilder, R.G. Varady, and R. Merideth, 2016. Metrics for assessing adaptive capacity and water security: Common challenges, diverging contexts, emerging consensus. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 21: 86-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2016.11.007
- Parris, A.S., G.M. Garfin, K. Dow, R. Meyer, and S.L. Close (eds.), 2016. Climate in Context: Science and Society Partnering for Adaptation. J. Wiley & Sons/AGU. 274 p.
- Muth, M., K. Anderson, D. Brown, T. Brown, E. Delgado, G. Garfin…, M. Svoboda, 2017. Advancing preparedness and response to drought and wildfires through North American transboundary collaboration. Bull. Amer. Metero. Soc., http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-16-0296.1.
- Wall, T., G.M. Garfin, J. Brugger, H. Hartmann, and T. Brown, 2015. Scenario Planning in the Great Basin Region: Considering Climate Change Impacts and Management Strategies for the Future. Desert Research Institute. http://www.dri.edu/planning-for-the-future/scenario-planning/final-report
- Garfin, G., G. Franco, H. Blanco, A. Comrie, P. Gonzalez, T. Piechota, R. Smyth, and R. Waskom. 2014. Chapter 20: Southwest. Pages 462-486 in T. C. R. J.M. Melillo, and G.W. Yohe, eds. Climate Change Impacts in the United States: The Third National Climate Assessment. U.S. Global Change Research Program, Washington, DC.
- Garfin G., A. Jardine, R. Merideth, M. Black, S. LeRoy (eds.), 2013. Assessment of Climate Change in the Southwest United States. Washington, DC: Island Press, 509 p. (See http://swcarr.arizona.edu/ for free download and additional materials)
- Wilder, M., C.A. Scott, N. Pineda Pablos, R. Varady, G.M. Garfin, J. McEvoy, J., 2010. Adapting Across Boundaries: Climate Change, Social Learning, and Resilience in the U.S.-Mexico Border Region. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 100(4):917-928. DOI: 10.1080/00045608.2010.500235.
- Fourth National Climate Assessment, Convening Lead Author
- Third National Climate Assessment, Convening Lead Author
- Arizona Governor’s Drought Task Force, Monitoring Committee (current member)
- Climate Assessment
- Climate Communication
- Fire Management
- Natural Resources Management
- Scenario Planning
- Stakeholder Engagement and Outreach
- Transboundary Water