- Ph.D., radiological health sciences, Colorado State University, 1993
- M.S., radiology and radiation biology, Colorado State University, 1987
- B.S., wildlife science, New Mexico State University, 1985
- Allen, C.D., D.D. Breshears, and N.G. McDowell, 2015. On underestimation of global vulnerability to tree mortality and forest die-off under hotter drought in the Anthropocene. An ESA Centennial Paper. Ecosphere 6(8): 1-55.
- Field, J.P, D.D. Breshears, D.J. Law, J.C. Villegas, L. López-Hoffman, P.D. Brooks, J. Chorover, G.A. Barron-Gafford, R.E. Gallery, M.E. Litvak, R.A. Lybrand, J.C. McIntosh, T. Meixner, G.-Y. Niu, S.A. Papuga, J.D. Pelletier, C.R. Rasmussen, and P.A. Troch, 2015. Critical Zone Services: Extending context, constraints and currency beyond ecosystem services. Vadose Zone Journal 14(1), doi:10.2136/vzj2014.10.0142
- Breshears, D.D., L. López-Hoffman, and L.J. Graumlich, 2011. When ecosystem services crash: Preparing for big, fast, patchy climate change. Ambio 40:1-8.
- López-Hoffman, L, D.D. Breshears, C.D. Allen, and M.L. Miller, 2013. Key landscape ecology metrics for assessing climate change adaptation options: rate of change and patchiness of impacts. Ecosphere 4 (8), art101.
- Breshears, D.D., and C.D. Allen, 2002. The importance of rapid, disturbance-induced losses in carbon management and sequestration. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11: 1-5.