- Ph.D., Cultural Anthropology, University of Arizona, 1981
- M.A., Cultural Anthropology, University of Arizona, 1975
- B.A., Literature and History, University of Detroit, 1969
Selected adaptation projects:
- IRAP: Integrating Climate Information and Decision Processes for Regional Climate Resilience. Funded by NOAA, 2013-.
- Decentralized Governance and Climate Change Adaptation: A Case Study on Mali. Funded by USAID through ATLAS.
- Enhancing Institutional Networks for Regional Resilience in Bangladesh
- Institutional Capacity-Building in Disaster Risk Management and Sustainable Development at Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia. Funded by USAID, 2008-2011.
- A Dynamic Decision Making System for the Senegal River Valley. Funded by the Organization pour le Mise en Valeur du Fleuve Sénégal (OMVS), 2008-2009.
- Coping with Climate Risks: An Africa Review. The World Bank, 2008-2009.
- Finan, T., Evaluation of Climate Change on Ugandan Agriculture. Report presented to USAID. Tetratech, Washington, D.C., 2012.
- Finan, T., Storm warnings: The role of anthropology in adapting to sea-level rise in southwestern Bangladesh, in Crate, S.A. and M. Nuttall, eds., Anthropology and Climate Change: from Encounters to Actions, Walnut Creek: Left Coast Press, pp 175-85, 2009.
- Nelson, D.R., C.T. West, and T.J. Finan, 2009. Introduction to “In Focus: Global Change and Adaptation in Local Places, American Anthropologist, 111(3), 271-4.
- Serrat-Capdevila, A., A. Browning-Aiken, K. Lansey, T. Finan, and J. B. Valdés, 2009. Increasing social-ecological resilience by placing science at the decision table; The role of the San Pedro Basin Decision Support System Model (Arizona), Ecology and Society, 14(1), 2009. http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol14/iss1/art37/
- Vasquez-Leon, M., C.T. West, and T.J. Finan, 2003. A comparative assessment of climate vulnerability: agriculture and ranching on both sides of the US–Mexico border, with M. Vasquez-Leon and C.T. West, Global Environmental Change, 13:159-73.
- Finan, T.J., 2003. Climate science and the policy of drought mitigation in Ceará, Northeast Brazil, in S. Strauss and B. Orlove (eds.) Weather, Climate, Culture, New York: Berg Publishers, pp. 203-216.
- Peace Corps Volunteer, UI.S. Peace Corps Regional Office, Fortaleza, Ceará, Brazil, 1970-1974.
- Bureau of Applied Research in Anthropology (formerly Bureau of Ethnic Research), 1981 to present
- Human Dimensions of Climate Change
- International and Development
- Public Policy and Governance
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Latin America and Caribbean
- Middle East/North Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Sub-Saharan Africa