- Ph.D., Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University, 1992
- M.S., Meteorology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1987
- B.S., University of Nanjing, Atmospheric Physics, 1984
- Global Land-Atmosphere-Ocean Interface Process Studies by Integrating the MERRA Reanalysis with Satellite and In situ Data (NASA project)
- Improving the Understanding and Modeling of Land Processes in the Community Earth System Model (NSF project)
- Development of Hybrid 3-D Hydrological Modeling for the Community Earth System Model (DOE project)
- Yang, Z., Dominguez, F., Gupta, H., Zeng, X., and L. Norman, 2016. Urban effects on regional climate: A case study in the Phoenix and Tucson “sun corridor”. Earth Interactions, 20(20), 1-25. doi: 10.1175/El-D-15-0027.1.
- Snow, J.T,. X. Zeng, P. Klein, S.E. Sarnat, J.M. Shepherd, and E.M. Stanley, 2012. NRC Report on Urban Meteorology: Forecasting, Monitoring, and Meeting Users' Needs. National Academies Press, Washington, D.C.
- Dabberdt, W.F., R. Carbone, S.S. Chen, G. Borfes, E.Foufoula-Georgiou, R. Morss, J.T. Snow, and X. Zeng, 2010. NRC Report on When Weather Matters: Science and Service to Meet Critical Societal Needs. National Academies Press, Washington, D.C.
- Sakaguchi, K., X. Zeng, and M. Brunke, 2012. The Hindcast Skill of the CMIP Ensembles for the Surface Air Temperature Trend. J. Geophys. Res., 117, D16113, doi:10.1029/2012JD017765.
- Professor of Atmospheric Sciences since 2004
- Founding Director of UA Climate Dynamics and Hydrometeorology Center (CDHC) since 2008
- Agnese N. Haury Chair in Environment, University of Arizona, since 2014