- Ph.D., University of Arizona, 2004
- M.A., Environmental Policy, Tufts University, 1981
- B.A., Interdisciplinary Studies, Oberlin College, 1972
- Arizona FireScape
- Southwest Jemez Forest Landscape Restoration Project
Selected adaptation citations:
- Keane, R.E., D. Smithwick, C. McKenzie, D.A. Falk, and L.B. Kellogg. 2015. Representing climate, disturbance, and vegetation interactions in landscape simulation models. Ecological Modelling, 309-310: 33-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2015.04.009
- O'Connor, C.D., A.M. Lynch, D.A. Falk, and T.W. Swetnam. 2015. Post-fire forest dynamics and climate variability affect spatial and temporal properties of spruce beetle outbreaks on a Sky Island mountain range. Forest Ecology and Management, 336: 148-162. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2014.10.021
- Higgs, E., D.A. Falk, A. Guerrini, M. Hall, J. Harris, R. J., Hobbs, S. T. Jackson, J. M. Rhemtulla, and W. Throop. 2014. The changing role of history in restoration ecology, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 12(9): 499–506. http://doi:10.1890/110267
- Yocom, L.L., P.Z. Fulé, C. García-Domínguez, D.A. Falk, E. Cornejo-Oviedo, P.M. Brown, J. Villanueva-Díaz, J. Cerano, and C. Cortés Montaño. 2014. Comparing the influence of broad-scale and fine-scale factors on fire occurrence in northeastern Mexico. International Journal of Wildland Fire, 23: 959–968. http://doi.org/10.1071/WF13214
- Falk, D.A. 2013. Are Madrean ecosystems approaching tippingpoints? Anticipating interactions of landscape disturbance and climate change, in Merging Science and Management in a Rapidly Changing World: Biodiversity and Management of the Madrean Archipelago III, ed. G.J. Gottfried, P.F. Ffolliott, B.S. Gebow, L.G. Eskew, and L.C. Collins, RMRS P-67. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. Fort Collins, CO,.
- Friggens, M., K. Bagne, D. Finch, D.A. Falk, J. Triepke, and A. Lynch, A. 2013. Review and recommendations for climate change vulnerability assessment approaches with examples from the Southwest. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-309. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 106 p.
- McKenzie, D., C. Miller, and D.A. Falk (eds.) 2011. The Landscape Ecology of Fire. Ecological Studies Series No. 213. Springer, Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- 1993-2002: Science and policy consultant and first director, Society for Ecological Restoration, the leading international organization dedicated to the science and practice of ecological restoration
- 1993-1994: Field biologist and consultant, Nature Conservancy of Arizona
- 1984-1993: Co-founder and executive director, Center for Plant Conservation, the first national organization dedicated to conservation of endangered plants
- Biological Models for Adaptation
- Ecology and Restoration
- Fire Management
- Natural Resources Management
- Stakeholder Engagement and Outreach